Noxubee General – Swing Bed Program
What is Swing Bed?
Swing Bed is a program created to help eligible individuals** who are well enough to be discharged from acute care, but are not well enough to go home. The purpose of the program is to assist patients in improving their physical, emotional, and social functioning through therapy and skilled nursing care.
Noxubee General Hospital has been providing swing bed services since 1985.
About Swing Bed Services
The swing bed program at Noxubee General Hospital provides physical therapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy, social services, dietary supervision, and skilled nursing services as ordered by your physician. All of these disciplines work together to help you achieve the optimum level of function, and/or help you retain the ability to perform activities of daily living.
A care plan is written, reviewed, and updated regularly to help you achieve these goals. Discharge planning will begin on the day of admission to be sure that you are discharged to an appropriate environment. We will help you obtain services so that you may live at home if you qualify. If you need placement in another facility upon discharge from swing bed, we will help you obtain placement in an appropriate facility.
What to expect while in Swing Bed
- You will probably remain in the same room that you were in during your acute stay.
- You will be required to sign admission papers again, due to the fact that your patient status is changing.
- Your physician may only visit you once a week unless problems occur.
- You will be visited by several different hospital disciplines so that they can obtain information in order to complete your care plan.
- Depending on your physical ability, you will be expected to actively participate in your care, performing such tasks as bathing, grooming, and dressing.
- You must have some medical problem that you need to be taught about or can only be treated in a hospital setting, and show progress in order to be compliant with Medicare guidelines.
- You must participate in all of the therapies that have been ordered by the physician in order to remain eligible.
About our staff
The caring staff at Noxubee General Hospital provides excellent care. Staff will always be available to help you with your recovery.
Please feel free to contact the Swing Bed Coordinator, Intake Coordinator, or Social Worker if you have any questions or complaints during your stay.